With the ease of technology, everything has become accessible and available to us. With growing modernism, there has been an increase in the necessities of different things in our life. One way to acquire something we may need is through shopping. Shopping can be done anywhere and in every corner of the world. Everything is available and can be bought in today’s day and age. Today, shopping can be done physically or just through an online site. There are several sets of things. It plays an important role in each and everyone’s life. Shopping is the only way one could have access to every day.
The historical backdrop
Shopping is an activity wherein a person chooses and buys the goods available in a store, place, or site presented by the seller. Some people may only shop when it is necessary, while some others can shop for recreational purposes. In ancient times, shopping malls or departments were available for serious purposes like exchange purposes. The concept of shopping for recreational purposes came into existence around the 17th century. Different people who could afford the necessities and requirements began shopping for various goods and services. That is how the concept of window shopping emerged. Bon Marché made the first known store around the 19th century in Paris. This store is known to be the very first departmental store. There have been exchanges, barter systems, and consumption of various resources for a very long time. There are different types of markets available for shopping, like, supermarkets, malls, departmental stores, stalls, etc. Today’s date, online shopping is also available, and it is considered the most accessible and comfortable way of shopping mode. However, all kinds of shopping have their work pros and cons. Different categories of shoppers would consider different modes of shopping as per their convenience.
Why is it important?
Shopping is usually very necessary for acquiring the necessities of your life. However, sometimes, it also works as an escape, which may help you tackle your busy life schedule and the stress that comes with it. Shopping can be done through various mediums. One could use cash as the medium, one may use debit or credit cards, and likewise, there are different mediums. It is also important to support your local shops and buy more often from them. On the other hand, shopping online is an easy way to shop; it lets you choose from your home’s various options.
All in all, shopping provides you with both necessities and an escape from mere reality. It is absolutely important to support small businesses. They are the ones that require your help and support. It makes it a win-win situation. Small businesses often sell goods and services at an affordable cost which would be a great option for all customer sections. This way, the small shopping businesses can expand and offer you a larger choice of goods and services. No one would have been able to buy the essential items if the concept of shopping never existed.
Advantages of offline shopping ventures
Sometimes, the traditional way of shopping is the best choice. It has its list of benefits.
- It lets you experience the item physically. You can physically examine the item and check if it fits well with your convenience. For example, if you want to buy a dress, you can check if the dress fits you well. This will save you from spending money on clothes that might not fit you later on. Plus, you can be sure of the quality.
- If you shop offline or traditionally, you do not have to wait for your item to arrive at you within a week or so. You can choose the item you want and buy it then and there. You cannot always rely on online shopping sites to buy something for an important occasion as the delivery dates fluctuate. But, this is where offline shopping comes to your rescue.
- Returning your items if it turns out to be damaged is an easier job in an offline shopping mode than an online one.
Lastly, there is a certain energy and wave of happiness when you go to a store and physically buy your goods and services. The traditional way of shopping will always remain in everyone’s heart.
Advantages of online shopping
Things get easier if they are accessible to you in a simpler manner. Online shopping is such a platform that lets you buy from the comfort of your home.
- Sometimes, when you are low on your budget, online shopping comes in handy. It offers you tons of discounts and sales wherein you can buy your item at an affordable price.
- Convenience surely is the key factor. You can check thousands of results and also set filters to see the results of the items of your choice.
- There are online shopping platforms that provide legitimate items. Plus, there is a section wherein you can read the reviews by people who had already purchased it and would be able to know if it is worth it or not. There are so many platforms available like Amazon, Flipkart, eBay, etc.
- You do not have to wait in the queue to pay your bills. You can easily check out on an online platform without any mess. You can make a purchase peacefully.
It has positively influenced society and helps in contributing to economic development. It benefits the individual as well as society.